Monday, April 25, 2005

Tick Lists

With the warm weather firmly entrenched like a tick in a belly button I figure it is about time to get to work on the hard part of life - figuring out my tick list for the summer.

I used to be content to wait a day or two before a trip to decide what to do. However, that model hasn't at all been condusive to finding partners. With most of my objectives getting harder and harder to do on my own, I figure it is about time I sat down and worked out how to go about getting up some of those tasty peaks in the back country. Add yours, perhaps someone will find a hidden gem, or be available in case partners dry up like an August drought.

May
Lorrette - S ridge scramble or Edith scramble and traverse (see Dougherty's book)
Aemner's Coluoir
Horesthief creek and Dutch Creek and Wildhorse creek


June
Mount Louis
Pipestone River
Humbug spire
Kayking in Bitter roots
North fork of the Flathead float trip
Expert's choice for new routes


July
Macleod River
E. ridge of Wilbur
Chinese Wall hike
Berg Lake by Robson
Mt. Edziza northern BC


August
Hiking & kyaking around Whitehorse
Grand Sentinel
True Grit & or Parrallel dreams
Kinnerly in Glacier MT
Expert's choice for new routes

4 Comments:

At 4/28/2005 10:18:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

I noticed that you have the Aemmer Couloir on your list. Are you thinking of skiing it? I'd be all up for that. BigLines.com has some great photos of people skiing it lately.

As for our summer plans, it includes a lot of 11,000ers:
Lunette - (15 hrs) 5.2 scramble
Cline - (15 hrs) mostly a hike
Sir Douglas (2 days) - E Ridge 5.7
Hungabee (2 days) - W Ridge 5.4
King Edward (2 days) -
Alberta (4 days) - Jap route 5.7
Deltaform (2 days) - W Ridge 5.5
Lasserdaut (1 day) - E Ridge
Miche Wabum
Custer Traverse
Kinnersly
Buchanan Peak
Harrison's North Face (try in late October)

Then, if time permits, maybe spend a week with Robson's Kain Face and The Helmet as well. Resplendant would make a better ski trip. Of course, when it comes down to it, we seem to plan about three days in advance, so who knows what we'll really be doing.

 

Posted by Dave Stephens

 
At 4/28/2005 12:39:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I am around I may see about joining you guys for Alberta. I wasn't planning on skiing Aemner. I think climbing it is good enough for me. Hopefully the exit between the black towers isn't too bad.

I hear Sir Douglas is always on people's list but rarely gets climbed. I would be keen on Miche Wabum. It is a nice peak. I had figured on the west ridge, heading up from Goat Haunt. I will let you know when I am planning Kinerly. I think a number of other people are interested as well.

The custer traverse is nice. I assume you are going to head up the glacier again and then do the traverse. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 4/28/2005 12:46:00 PM , Blogger chris g said...

The supercol on Deltaform is nice. There is an alternate exit from the summit that is not in the Alpine guide. That could shorten your traverse, assuming you aren't going over to the Colgan Hut. It puts you back to the valley of west of the peak instead of south.

 
At 4/28/2005 02:40:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Custer - Yep up the Herbst Glacier, over the summit of Custer, then traverse to Forum and come down Forum Ridge. I think we estimated that it would take about 20 hrs car to car.

Re: Sir Douglas - Blair wants to do the east ridge. I want the west ridge. Since I've got to keep my leader happy... we'll do the east ridge.

Re: Deltaform - I want the west ridge. Blair wants the Supercoulior. I'm still torn.

Re: Lunette and Cline - I'll wait for those days when Blair decides to climb on Expert's Wall all day. I'll bugger off and climb those two since they won't appeal to Blair.

 

Posted by Dave Stephens

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me