Monday, January 24, 2005

Conditions Jan 23rd -Jan 30th

After the poor conditions reported by Dave and Blair maybe one should take their rock shoes out on the Hump. After all, the rock does get surprisingly warm with the daily sun. I know I have gone up there a few times during the chinooks and had a pleasant day.

While driving to work this morning I got moon lit look at the compound gullies. The bottom pitches are out. The upper pitch on the right is gone. The upper pitch on the left looks like it is still in good shape. However, I am sure it is getting quite mushy. With the ice gone, a walk up to Crypt should prove productive. That is a chilly valley in the winter. I would doubt that Burnt Rock Pillar or whatever it is called on the various maps is out. The headwall should still be quite good though. I would also guess the same would apply to Sullivan's and to the Midnight Express area. I wonder about how well Lineham left stands up in the chinooks. It tends to get a lot of water flowing down it.

4 Comments:

At 1/24/2005 08:03:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally took a day off and decided to go snowshoeing as I knew the snow would be too soft for skiing, unless you are one of those torture victims that likes clister. Surprise surprise. No snow left. Wow what a change. We ended up hiking from rowe trailhead up lineham ridge about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up. Till becomes vertical. I dont know about Lineham falls but Little if any snow was present on our hike and the creek coming down rowe valley was seriously flowing. Even cameron creek looked good enough to paddle.  

Posted by Wilco

 
At 1/24/2005 08:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually had a look at lee creek during the week. It was flowing pretty good through town (10cm?) However, I figured the narrows, where the only good rapid is would be pretty icy. I got some x-country skis if you are interested in checking out east glacier. I am not sure what the snow cover would be though. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 1/25/2005 08:43:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really wishing i had thrown my rock shoes in my pack when Dave and i headed into Drywood. I've climbed colder days in September than it was last Saturday. A day of sport climbing was definitely a good option to ice climbing and it wouldn't have been nearly as depressing as standing there watching the ice melt right before your eyes.
Sorry i missed your call last week Chris. 

Posted by Blair Piggot

 
At 1/25/2005 09:54:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A light pair of mountaineering boots and a thin rock rack always does wonders on the hump during a chinook. Lichen Line right is my usual winter romp (well at least when I was getting out and not working like a lame-o!)

From the pillars at the gasser, the rock routes at the upper tier really are pretty close. After the winter approach up the ledges, spring usually has me wondering if the faint switchbacks really are such a good idea. (Yes they are) 

Posted by chris goble

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me