Tuesday, April 26, 2005

What did you do??

So, to get some conversation going on this board;
this past weekend Dave Stephens and i skiied up onto the Wapta Icefields and climbed Mt. Collie. Awesome spring skiing up high under clear blue skies. The views were stunning. From the summit of Collie we were able to see Mt. Sir Donald in the Rogers Pass, Mt. Sir Sanford which is up Gold River west of McNaughton Lake, the Goodsirs, Deltaform, Hungabee, etc. We bagged some nice turns off the summit in corn snow right down into the trench. The skiing below the Bow Hut crapped out though, it just got to warm and the snow went very isothermic and kept collapsing around the boulders above the canyon. It was very exasperating pulling ourselves out of these holes but all in all, it was still an awesome day. I imagine Dave will have some pictures on his website soon.
Anybody else?? Tell us what you did this past weekend. Anybody do anything hairy and scary or just plain interesting?? Let us know.

5 Comments:

At 4/28/2005 08:13:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I'll get to those pictures. I usually take all of the pictures of the climb, pick the top 15 or so, then post them to my site. I usually do this on Friday because I don't work those days. Well, Blair took 80 pictures, and I took 30. That's 110 photos to go through, and this Friday, I'm climbing Jimmy Simpson up on the Wapta. Then, Saturday, Blair and I are going after Mt. Baker. Then Sunday, my son has a race at Sunshine, and I'm Chief of Course... Busy busy. It might be next week before I get these pictures on my site.

 

Posted by Dave Stephens

 
At 4/29/2005 11:31:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went down to Montana kayaking. No one wanted to go, so I went solo down the swan. It was pretty low. Last time I went it was pretty bouncy, this time, it was pretty bouldery. However, I finally found the paved trail high on the river right side of the river. Big Fork is a really cool town.

I also checked out Logan creek around the Tye lake area. It is a pretty spot. There are some lots for sale up around there that would be nice. However the flathead has crazy prices. Montana is definitely further along to spring than up here. I would say heading down to Butte would make for some nice climbing on those granite crags. I would guess the north facing routes at refridgerator canyon would be a bit cold right now, as would blackleaf. However the scrambling down some of the front range mountains there would be good. Also, there are quite a few small crags around Gibson's resevoir that could be fun. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 4/29/2005 11:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is on for this weekend? I have a Sat. meeting in Edmonton and will be living the trucker life for a few days. I was planning on hitting Lorrette this next weekend though. If that fails, or the weather is screaming for some water time, I am thinking of the Lussier area.  

Posted by chris goble

 
At 4/29/2005 02:24:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as Dave mentioned earlier, we are going back up the Wapta again this weekend to try and bag another peak. Heading out tonite to camp at Mosquito Creek, up at 0300 tomorrow morning and on the trail again. This cold front should really help the snow conditions. Chris, you just gotta' buy some skins. 

Posted by Anonymous

 
At 5/04/2005 10:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as a follow-up, I posted the pictures from our Mt. Collie trip. 

Posted by Dave Stephens

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me