Thursday, February 09, 2006

Remarkable Objectives

As I am morhping into more and more of an armchair mountaineer, I no longer feel guilty about luring people into doing the routes I at one time had hoped to snag. In the rockies there are quite a number of classic hard routes. The grand central colouir, Aemner Col, North Face of Robson, etc. While no expert on the Rockies tick lists, some of the outstanding local problems have got me wondering what the truly significant accomplishments in our area may be.

Here are my thoughts

Ice
Sullivan's, Expert's middle

Multi-pitch Rock
Really nothing significant. Cusak's is classic, but certainly not a big tick. I have a feeling the West ridge of Wilbur would become a classic. I also figure some significant rock route will get put up through the Expert's choice roof.

Alpine
Again, most of big objectives seem undone. The north face of Siyeh seems an exception. Spread Eagle col could be something, as could some of the winter smears on the south face of Sinopah.

Mountaineering
While not having done it, I think Kinnerly is probably fits is, as does Mt. Merrit.

What are the big local routes strong climbers would aspire to?

3 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 03:03:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as alpine ascents are concerned, the north ridge of Alderson, I think would be a challenging yet exciting route.

Jaime Thomas 

Posted by Jaime Thomas

 
At 3/02/2006 11:00:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if there is any potential for some big wall routes. I know there is nothing really big, but some of those larger walls in the area might constitute something like that. I was thinking about it when I saw Jack Osbourne climb El Cap.(no leading).  

Posted by Brandon

 
At 3/03/2006 08:50:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chinese wall in the backcountry of Montana is fairly large and quite long. I haven't been there, but certainly have studied the topo. A bit taller than Blackleaf.

There is probably good rock up on Mt. Saint Nicholas. I went up there one year with Clay, but got stopped at Lake Isabel, which by the way has quite a nice looking face even if it isn't metamorphized like Nicholas.
 

Posted by chris g

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me