Friday, June 11, 2010

Family Tents

We are looking for a new tent for us and the baby, with room to grow as needed. Last fall I finally threw away my old A-frame Eureka tent I got back in 1984 for $49. I lived in it daily for a number of summers and probably averaged at least 30 days+ for the last few decades. Everything was shot, but hey sometimes it always seems like you can squeak out a bit more longevity- hence the throw it away strategy to force a new purchase.

Here are the options we are now looking at. We will be doing some car camping trips, but also expect to get out for weekend backpacking trips down in the Bob Marshalls.

Big Agnes


REI Half Dome - we like being able to pick this up in Portland when we fly in. I don't like that the vestibule doesn't double as a shade. Canadians easily get swamped by US summers.


Sierra Designs Zeta 4 - I really like this one.


Marmot Hideaway 4 - This seems like a top quality tent. I'm a bit unsure if the footprint will have the space we are after. I like one dimension to be a fair bit longer than your sleeping bag length. It is just nice to be able to store kit past your head than down the center of the tent. (Yes I know what vestibules are for...)


Kelty Gunnison 4.1 - Other Kelty's (the recreational kind) had nice footprints, but were in the 15lb range. This one has a nice shape, but again the old style vestibule is a weak point. I suspect I just liked the old school shape of the tent. I hate square dome looking tents. However, I don't think this compares to some of the other ones we are looking at.


Alps Mountaineering Lynx AL 4 - I think this one is very similar to the Kelty Gunnison. Like everything on our short list, it has two doors instead of one.


The other tent that looked quite nice, but we couldn't justify for price, utility and other assundries was black diamond's guide lite single wall tent.

Any recommendations on the short list? The sierra designs is coming out quite high on my list, while Anne likes the REI.

3 Comments:

At 6/12/2010 11:30:00 AM , Blogger Grand Master I said...

Are you talking about this guide tent?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/322,2459H_Black-Diamond-Equipment-Guiding-Light-Tent-Vestibule-4-Person-4-Season.html

I get 20% off coupons in my email, which would drop the price down to about 425.


This one is a nice cheap alternative I think.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/322,88636_Marmot-Titan-Backpacking-Tent-3-Person-3-Season.html

The Marmot Titan 3 Man would come in around $128! 6lbs and 42sq ft are not bad stats either and there are 68 reviews, mostly positive.

We have a sierra deigns comet, which has been replaced by this one.

https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-134-meteor-light-3.aspx

I've always liked my sierra deisgns tent.

 
At 6/12/2010 07:20:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

Bummer about the coupons! I just ordered the sierra designs tent from Amazon. The parents are heading down south and can bring it across for us in time for the trip.

Nice to hear about sierras being good. We'll see how this one is.

The 3 man version would be a bit tight. We have a really nice 3 man summer tent we got from Nathan Smith. I think it is a Eureka or something similar. It is just a bit small when Anne's big down bag is spaced so as not to smother little munchkins.

 
At 7/03/2010 11:10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Sierra Designs 4 person and I love it. You won't be disappointed. The Big Agnes is nice but a little pricey. I got my SD out of the states much cheaper.

Brandon

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me