Thursday, December 30, 2010

Loveable Gear

While watching some old 80's videos from Mark Twight's homepage I starting thinking about the old gear I have that I still love:

  • Rigid friends - while the new BD cams are just amazing (I love the one I found on Cusak's Crack, I still like how the rigid stem provides purchase for solid trigger action

  • Arcteryx Alpine Jacket - while not as old as rigid friends, this alpine jacket has been through a fair bit and still performs great. Definitely worth the money

  • Crispi Mountaineering Boots - I got these full shank leathers back in '95 and they have finally given in. I went to throw them out twice, even removing the insoles to guarantee I wouldn't keep them, but I still can't part with them. Of course anything that takes 2 years to break in must been good! Too bad the ankles have caved in from too much side hilling

  • McHale Bayonet Backpack - I ordered mine back in '94, making sure to get the cool green and purple color combination! This pack is amazing. It carries 100lbs without much effort at all. While the thing weighs a tonne (about 9lbs) it carries unbelievably well. It is super tall so the weight sits over your center of gravity without having to hunch up much. The slide adjusters for shoulder tension allow you to tighten the strap compression without having to tighten or loosen the shoulder strap length. Plus the tension pulls from above your head making you wonder why you ever put up with any other system.


  • Image from McHale & Compnay - mine is green with purple straps - yeah 90's neon!

    3 Comments:

    At 12/30/2010 08:02:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

    An accurate review of the Mchale backpacks

    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mchale/critical-mass-sarc/review/2725/

     
    At 2/26/2011 11:17:00 AM , Blogger Grand Master I said...

    I have a North Face backpack.... back when they made good stuff. It has this red grid pattern nylon on the outside, but a separate yellow liner on the inside that pulls up about 1.5ft out of the pack. It works an an emergency 1/2 bivy bag, being waterproof.

    I think it was called the slipsteam, but I can't find a picture of it on the internet.

     
    At 2/27/2011 08:48:00 AM , Blogger chris goble said...

    I actually remember that one. Great pack. First of the supper narrow style.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    Email me