Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Waterton Web Cam

I get tonnes of hits on this blog from people looking for Waterton's webcam. - Update March 2011 - There final is one -

The other week I thought I would poke around for some free webcam publishing software. I tried evocam as its email function was supposed to enable auto-posting to your blog. It didn't work.

With a minute or two to spare tonight I think I found a solution. Use camspinner, save the file to a public dropbox account adjust the save rate to 1 file every 15 minutes.  Then, all I need to do is have a permanent link to this image on the sidebar of the blog.  Dropbox autopublishes, and camspinner allows you to specify where the file is saved.  It automatically overwrites filenames, so there is really nothing fancy, complicated or involved about publishing your own webcam.

It will be two weeks till I'm next in waterton.  I'll pull out an old G3 laptop, plug in a firewire isight camera and see if I can get a half decent view down the lake.  The view won't be great (no windows directly face south), but I'll start somewhere.

Look for this in about 2 weeks.

5 Comments:

At 2/06/2011 06:05:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

The install didn't work this weekend as dropbox needs OS 10.4 to run, and the old laptop has 10.3.9 and isn't upgradeable.

I'll see about bringing the old dektop down, but it will suffer with the frequent power outages. Plus it eats up a tonne of power. Not sure it is worth it.....

 
At 2/21/2011 01:38:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

Got a temp web cam up. I am using my day-to-day machine. I didn't bring the old desktop down due to power consumption costs and the frequent power outages that would put it off line.

Will try things out this weekend -Feb 21, 2011.

The webcam page is here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3662312/Webcamwaterton/camhistory.html

Images are on the sidebar. Not the best of views....

 
At 2/26/2011 10:24:00 AM , Blogger Grand Master I said...

looks good to me! Better than the other options which are.... nothing!

 
At 3/06/2011 12:11:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

The power supply on my old G4 desktop packed it in the other day. That means the main option I had remaining for a permanent web cam is gone. I have one other lead to pursue.

For the interim (Winter / Spring 2011), it looks like the waterton webcam will only be active on the weekends I am down.

 
At 3/21/2011 12:01:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

March 21 - just installed a webcam on an old pc so it should be up permanently. Still don't have a good location for it, but the front window should work for now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me