Monday, June 18, 2012

App Store Submission

SA Rock
I've finally been able to hit the "submit" button for the Southern Alberta Climbing Guidebook.  Barring any unforeseen rendering glitches it should take 5-10 business days to process.  That means an arrival date right around Canada day.

I haven't finalized the price, but I'm thinking 4.99.  That means about 3.50 per app: requiring about 100 downloads to break even for this year's publishing costs, and about 60 per year thereafter. Around here I think 100 downloads is a bit overly optimistic, but guidebooks really are more of a community service project than anything else.

4th Edition
I plan on updating the app in late August, and will try to do a yearly update thereafter.  After 1 year, I'll take a look and see if I want to get rid of the update feature and do a one-time submission for $250 (or spend lots of time figuring Adobe's phone gap publisher and a deeper level of how apple's submission / development processes work.  Doubtful.)

I'll probably try for the Android Store here in a week or two.  I'll need some time to recuperate from all the paper work required to get it through the app store.


Feeback on the price.....?  Most of the other guides are selling at around print retail - $8 to $30.  More for the big areas (2000 routes) less for the smaller local areas (300 routes).  I just can't see that making sense for a self-published guide to a bunch of crappy cliffs.



7 Comments:

At 6/19/2012 12:22:00 AM , Blogger Grand Master I said...

would need android, but I could pony your price for what you get. No need to haul a paper copy any more, especially for shorter routes.

 
At 6/19/2012 10:13:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 bucks is a good price point... I would install on our ipad for viewing at home, while still using the old spiral book for browsing and outdoor use. We use the Peterson bird guides the same way!
Trevor

 
At 6/20/2012 08:45:00 AM , Blogger chris goble said...

Thanks for the feedback.

Android
I got an android build up, but two features don't work - the notes section & the image gallery with graphs of bar chart grade distribution by crag and by area.

Print Guide
My thinking has been to
1. do the app, hashing out all pending route updates and minor errors (i.e thunder mountain, better gargoyle, more FA history, etc). (2011-2012)
2.Format things for printing via Pages & make it into an ibook. Get lots of extra multi-media (2012-2013).
3. take the formatting done above (excluding extra media) and send it to a printer (end 2013)

 
At 7/08/2012 07:58:00 PM , Blogger Clark Goble said...

Hi Chris, did you publish just to Canada or to the whole world? It's still not showing up in the American iTunes.

 
At 7/10/2012 11:01:00 AM , Blogger chris goble said...

Just re-submitted my app. In looking over correspondence, it seems Seattle Clouds wanted me to hit the publish button again after having emailed them the apple certificate key.

I had waited as they had requested an email with the key. Guess we'll see if it starts the process again...

 
At 7/11/2012 07:39:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

App is now waiting for Apple's approval. It made it past seattle cloud's primary approval. - Nice!

 
At 10/11/2012 08:07:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

App is now up in the Apple store. Yeah!

View the app

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me