Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Conditions in the Crowsnest

On the weekend I had the opportunity to hike out to the plane crash in York creek and get about half way up Crowsnest Mountain. The trail out to the plane crash is in excellent shape if not a little muddy in the warm afternoons. The few peaks above the plane crash area are in full winter conditions (north aspects) with large drifts formed and small point release avalanches in the higher bowls, there were plenty of ice daggers and seaps to get the blood pumping but all of these are tiny and will melt out in a week I'm sure. Heading up Crowsnest Mountain on Sunday got a little sporty in the middle cliff band area, the narrow gullies were icy and the scree was frozen solid making the hike a little hazardous. Our hi - point was at the end of the chain in the final chimney, the last twenty feet or so was very icy and we didn't have our crampons or axes and we figured caution was a good idea for early season. The few ice climbs on the half way ledge are starting to form ice but unfortunatly the three climbs on the seven sisters are getting blasted by the sun and have not formed yet.
Chris

5 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 08:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear about things up there. What are your thoughts on that expansion by Crowsnest lake? It will certainly change access to the climbs behind there. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 10/12/2005 09:15:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This new resort will definatly affect the area but by how much I don't know. They say it's overall foot print will be quite small and I don't think the proposal is very well put together from the sound of things. Who knows if it will even happen?
Chris
P.S. how far is it to Linham creek falls 

Posted by Chris Morris

 
At 10/12/2005 10:34:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lineham is pretty short. I would expect about an hour. I would guess about 5km. I doubt the ice is in shape there though. It tends to come in late. Midnight madness is usually the first one to come in. I haven't really seen any smears coming in on Sullivan's which usually gives a good indication of what else is around. Perhpas Lucifer and Blue Angel could be in. If not, there needs to be some rock routes put up on some of those towers.

If you are around this weekend, I might be doing something with Blair on Sat. if you are interested. I will get some more info soon. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 10/13/2005 01:07:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be a blast to do some late season rock but unfortunatly I seperated my thumb bone from my hand bone 2 weeks ago and I am stuck in bipied mode until November 4th. If I be nice to my opposable didget I should have no problem ice climbing in November or so the hand doctor says.
As for Lucifer and blue angel I betcha the sun is laying a beat down on them and they won't form completely until december.
Chris 

Posted by Chris Morris

 
At 10/13/2005 05:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I have heard the resort is planning on starting construction this spring. It will be located behind sentinal on the NE side of crowsnest lake. On top of that they will be building a 6 lane highway throught the pass. One option is to take the highway ont he north side of blairmore then cross the marsh to the south side of the valley and bipass coleman. It will be interesting to see how a 6 lane highway gets througth the narrows by bluff and turtle. 

Posted by wilco tymensen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me