Friday, February 18, 2005

Michewabun

Michewabum is another one of those spectacular mountains tucked away, almost beyond notice. And yet, it it one of the more spectacular peaks around.


As nice as this picture is, chances are it is one valley off. It looks to be the Northeast face of Goat Haunt.


There are a couple of ways to get up the peak. Not having done it, I think I will just content myself to the approach.

From the US side, the trail crew occasionally tries to cut out the old trail that is still found on the maps. I have run into this trail higher up the valley, but haven't managed to get on the lower portion. Our approach from a number of years ago involved bushwhacking up the north side of the river for several kilometers until we finally got a few game trails that led to an opening a few kilometers before the lake. Here old pic-nic tables and camp facilities were still present from more popular days. The pools in the river were clear and deep. Each car sized pool had at least 20 large bull trout. The valley was truly spectacular. I believe we left drove up one of the side roads on the reserve, hoping that our car wouldn't get ticketed or damaged.

You can approach the peak via the ridge line above crypt lake, or following the ridge above Goat Haunt Lake.

1 Comments:

At 2/22/2005 08:58:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad sent me a note, hinting that the peak in the picture isn't actually Michewabun. I have a feeling he is right. (That's what you get for posting at work without a map!). I will take a look at my maps tonight and see if I can fully fess up.

Thanks Brad. 

Posted by chris goble

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me