Monday, February 28, 2005

Rosedale

Blair and I ended up trying Rosedale on Saturday. The warm weather meant rock shoes with no cold feet. However the warm sun put us into a doze. Getting onto the start of the route proved committing. Some gear was left here as apparently another party thought the same thing. With day light dwindling, we ended up climbing Lichen Line Left and then traversed over to the ledge above Rosedale to drop a rope.

The start proved a bit challenging. Good gear can be found off the first holds. Perhaps 5.7+ is a bit of a sandbag. How about 5.8 with a bouldery start?

The upper pitch was fantastic. It had solid rock on a steep face with lots of exposure. A nice looking crack joined up near the top. I am trying to remember if I did this section when I first did the climb with Kris Jensen? I think so, but can't be certain. The guidebook shows that the route heads up this face (a little bit back, where one would start after belaying from the ledge), but I would take a closer look at it if I were to try it again. Having felt that Rosedale was a 5.7+ could mean that the top is a bit run out.

All in all it was a great day. Blair even got a sun burn. However, the burning question remains, what are people's votes for the biggest sandbag in the area?

6 Comments:

At 2/28/2005 05:32:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

So what happened to lussier? Whitesides, Brian & Vonya (im sure is spelt that wrong), Jenna and Eric, and ourselves ended up at whiteswan. Was a good time out. Who would've thought that it was going to be that cold over night, probably dipped to around -20. Also of note, we bumped into some americans that had just come from the gibralter ice climbs, they said it was fat and thick.

Cheers 

Posted by scott harms

 
At 3/02/2005 12:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With most of my friends cancelling the trip, I decided that I wouldn't make the long drive myself. A few tempting offers down in Waterton made me change my mind on Friday. Sorry. I hope it was still fun. I heard the snow pack up high is still in existence, even if the stuff in the valley isn't. 

Posted by Anonymous

 
At 3/02/2005 12:39:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With most of my friends cancelling the trip, I decided that I wouldn't make the long drive myself. A few tempting offers down in Waterton made me change my mind on Friday. That plus the fact it was dang hot this weekend, making a quick escape less necessary. Sorry. I hope it was still fun. I heard the snow pack up high is still in existence, even if the stuff in the valley isn't. 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 3/02/2005 12:42:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for local sandbags, I would have to say that the exit on MacDuff always seemed quite hard to me. For scrambles, the traverse across the back side of Newman coming from Yarrow always gets me. It looks so much easier than heading up along the ridge! 

Posted by chris goble

 
At 3/03/2005 08:47:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i think Rosedale at a 5.8 is still a bit of a sandbag. It's tougher and more commiting than Cusak's. My opinion anyways.
Chris, i'm meeting Dave at 0600 in Monarch so we'd be in Waterton about 0745 if you want to come. 

Posted by Blair

 
At 3/07/2005 10:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so 5.9 it is. I also figured the dyno on Dwarf Toss was pretty hard. It is quite a long through. Also A midsummer's night scream could be a sand bag. I remember it as being a pretty tough climb. I don't know how many have tried it, I have my doubts that it has even gotten repeated, despite the fact it is a great climb that is pretty well protected.

As for hikes, I think the trail to upper Rowe lakes always gets people. It seems like it should be short and easy, and yet for many people, it is quite a trip from the lower lake.

 

Posted by chris goble

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me