Sunday, December 11, 2005

Quick & Dirty Dec. 10

Dave and i climbed Quick & Dirty Saturday. It's in pretty good shape although there still seemed to be quite a bit of brittle ice left over from the cold snap. French Kiss is in good shape but there was quite a few missiles coming off from somewhere above it so we stayed away from it. Pillar Des Putain is still a free standing icicle and Pearl Necklace i believe is still to thin to lead. When the sun came around and started to shine right on the ice and the warm temps we were experiencing, we decided to get out of there which was about 12:30. Hopefully it will survive this warm spell.
We headed up to the gates at Cameron Lake, put our skis on and headed for the ridge between Forum and Wall Lakes figuring we be able to bag some turns. The east aspect of the ridge has been scoured by the wind leaving what snow's there crossloaded with a nice wind slab but we did manage to get some fun turns in the trees on a north aspect. Although it probably came close, there was no melting at the gates so the freeze line must have been somewhere between Quick & Dirty and the gates. Hopefully it's still freezing good at night and hopefully we get some more snow soon!!
Only saw one person all day. Another reason why Waterton has to be the one of the crown jewels of North America.......

2 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 01:13:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

While surfing around I noticed this Waterton link and clicked it open. I used to work in Waterton from 1980-83 as an Interpreter.
Anyways....noticed the Ice Climb Quick&Dirty which I climber in 1980 and "French Kiss". I was shocked to see "French Kiss" as I named this one day while climbing it.
Why French Kiss?....I was wrestling with gear and put a "biner" in between my teeth and my tongue stuck to the cold metal ( never learned that lesson in school about putting your tongue on cold things).
Managed to pull the biner off my tongue leaving a nasty bit of tongue on the metal.
Had a good laugh with my partner - Doug Latimer and named this piece of Ice....."French Kiss".
Damn..it feels good to be immortalized for all time.
Just when my life looked all for naught...I have something to look back on.

Cheers...
and good luck with the Waterton Ice climbs. 

Posted by Glenn Rogers

 
At 1/03/2006 08:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to hear the story. I am not sure how Joe Josepshon got the names, probably from some of the other wardens who are still around. At any rate, hearing the first ascent stories is pretty interesting. Thanks for the comment. 

Posted by chris goble

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me