Thursday, October 29, 2009

Waterton Ice Opener



In thinking about the annual ice opener, it just doesn't seem right to hold it after Christmas! Rolling the dice with chinooks is just part of the fun. With that in mind, take the poll to pick the date. Back up plans are rock climbing on the hump. Ice will be at Quick & Dirty, but if conditions are great we may take another poll to see about moving things to the Choice.


Unless Harms beats me to it, I think I take a BBQ up again. I'll bring some burgers, although I don't think anyone can beat Scott's hogies.

For new climbers, the gang usually sets up a few top ropes. If you haven't hit ice before, come on down, bring some ski boots whose back doesn't extend to far beyond the back lip of the sole, a harness and helmet. We usually share tools. People tend to show up at around 10am. We usually hit the Kilmorey for dinner, but will have to do the Lodge. I hear the pool is still open, so if the weather is good, think about bringing swim trunks and a tent so you can hit the hot tub and not have to worry about driving home while zonked. My back yard is open for tents.



Hemphill, if you're still around, give me an email cgoble72 gmail if you still have Austria Alpin demo tools you are interested in bringing out.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11/04/2009 01:14:00 PM , Blogger Scott Harms said...

I picked up a new portable bbq this summer which should work slick for q & d. It might me a little large to bring up to experts. Is there any ice up in waterton or surrounding area?

 
At 11/05/2009 12:39:00 PM , Blogger chris goble said...

Sounds good scott. I haven't been up there on the weekends, but I imagine the early season stuff should be prime.

Chris

 
At 11/07/2009 05:51:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was not much ice on Q&D and expert choice last weekend. I went up and had a look at the summit lake ice fall (surprisinly impressive cliff there) some ice but still not formed (south facing)
We are going to have a look at Wall Lake today. I was there a Thanks giving and there was barely anything then but this is a little while ago... Although D&D and E C had more ice at the time then now.

Jollin

 
At 11/07/2009 10:27:00 AM , Blogger chris goble said...

Thanks for the update Jollin. Its appreciated. Are you from the Pass, Lethbridge, or Calgary area?

 
At 11/09/2009 08:46:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midnight Madness is in.
I have pictures but don't know how to post them...
We decided to pass because of avalanche danger Sunday. It was still snowing hard and got very windy. Several sluffs and one larger avalance came down the main wall. Enough warning... Will go back this week.
EC and Q&D are the same as last week, wet but no ice...
I'm from Lethbridge
Jollin

 
At 11/10/2009 08:59:00 AM , Blogger chris goble said...

Jollin, you can upload them to a flickr or other photo sharing account.

Or you can email them to me cgoble72 gmail

Or I can set you up to create posts within the blog - send me your gmail account.

 
At 11/13/2009 05:33:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info

Here are some photo from last week.
Gasser is in even if a bit thin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jollin/4101963642/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jollin/4101974394/

Have fun
Jollin

 
At 11/25/2009 04:29:00 PM , Blogger Scott Harms said...

so what are we thinking for the ice opener. should we try and formalize it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me