Friday, June 02, 2006

Waterton Lakes Lodge

I have to apologize about hte lack of posts. Kayaking season always does me in. Tom had a question a few days ago about the Lodge, and I thought I would add some pictures showing the newly renovated dining room.



The old dining room was quite horrible. The architects had gone for a ski lodge feeling. They wanted everyone to have a window seat so they made the room long and narrow. However this made every table a central aisle seat. It was pretty bad. Plus for some reason (to create a separate compound that would be a draw) they placed the central building inside the compound without any real views. The views were saved for the rec center, staff accomodations and hostel. However they moved a builidng at the last moment and ruined the views from the pool and the sun room. While you can't correct that, new management did do a wonderful jobbing fixing the restaurant. The picture above should attest to that.





The dining room is on several levels and has nice wood work and rock work. Most tables are on the upper floor and finally have a view over the staff accomodations.


view from the upper floor



more views

No word on what the food is like though. I saw one person in there this morning so it looks like food is now being served. There is also a nice lounge by the entrance with a fire place and bar. If they make it non-smoking it might be a good hang out. I can't stay the smoke infested Bayshore lounge. It would normally be a nice place, but I don't have that much of a fondness for cancer and 20 year old musk.

3 Comments:

At 6/08/2006 11:41:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's for the update Chris. My wife and I are planning a trip up to Kilmorey next month. 

Posted by Tom

 
At 6/08/2006 02:50:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it goes well. The kilmorey has a nice atmosphere. I think the prices and food at the lodge are superior now. It is going to give them some stiff competition, especially as they try to establish themselves again through good quality and low prices. Most people I talk to still prefer the glacier suites as a place to stay. It is cheaper and more spacious than some of the other places. I am not sure what the Northland lodge is like now.

I know some people also rent out their cabins on weekly basis. I am not sure how nice many of them are. The liquor guy's place is pretty nice. I am not sure if he still does that though. I think I will be starting that as my rennovations finish as well. 

Posted by chris g

 
At 7/23/2006 10:25:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed at Waterton Lakes Lodge on 6/28 and 6/29 and had 1 breakfast and 1 dinner at the Bighorn Grill (onsite restaurant) and felt it was great. I was supposed to have a private room at the youth hostel but due to teachnical problems they upgraded me to a lodge room without extra charges, and the room was very good. I liked the architecture and interior decorations in both the main lodge and my room. For breakfast I had a table on the top level and for dinner I was at the bottom level next to the bar. I did not smell any smoke or see anybody smoking on the lodge premise. I would return to this lodge again in the future. 

Posted by David Wang

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me